Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, February 18, 2012

[Review] Angelfall by Susan Ee

Title: Angelfall (Penryn & The End Of Days #1)
Author:
Susan Ee
Published:
Published May 21st 2011 by Feral Dream
Rating: ★★★★★
Goodreads summary:

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. 

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. 

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. 

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

Emma's thoughts:

If you're only ever going to read one paranormal story in your life, let it be this one.

What I absolutely love, love, love about this book is that it's about bad angels! I mean, we've always seen angels as pure innocence, messengers of God, whatever else... but never as the deliverance of a massacre! The angels are the bad guys here. They're the one killing the humans they apparently were once supposed to watch over. I just cannot get over how much I adore this! I know, that sounds pretty horrid, but it's BOOM! New! Refreshing! I know we've all heard of bad angels before, but this brings it to a whole new level.

And of course, we've all read our fair share of fallen angels. Raffe is just... sigh... He's my perfect Valentine's date if you'll look back to the post a few days ago. I simply love him. He's so surprisingly human for a celestial being. And this quote just says it: "A sense of humor is one more thing I don't think angels should have. The fact that his sense of humor is corny makes it even more wrong." Raffe is FUNNY. In a sarcastic way. And who ever thought angels to be sarcastic? There's more to him that I'm sure you'll love, but I'll let you find out for yourselves!

Penryn makes an awesome MC. She's strong. She knows how to fight! (One thing I'll always be jealous of is people who actually know how to fight. I wish I knew how to defend myself!) And the whole time, she's on the mission to find her sister. Paige, crippled at a young age, presumably by her mother, was taken away by the angels when Penryn interfered with a civil fight. Paige is the reason Penryn saves Raffe time and time again and lugs around his wings for leverage. And that kind of determination is admirable, but I guess that's what fuels most MCs in situations like these.

Thing about Angelfall is that it doesn't start when the apocalypse happened. It starts after. I think it was exceptionally genius because we're not overwhelmed with attacking winged devils (of course, there is a lot of action throughout this nevertheless). And there is a lot of gruesome scenes in here. I don't mean to sound like a sadist, but it was awesome! It was just the perfect combination of post-apocalyptic paranormal romance! Angelfall had everything I could ever wish to read.

I just cannot believe I got all that for .99 cents on Amazon. NINETY-NINE CENTS. It makes me tear up to think that I had to spend $15 on a horrid school book that was barely 100 pages and was horribly tedious, when I could've gifted away 14 of these lovely copies of Angelfall... But seriously, just one dollar, and you will get so much more.

So there it is guys. This epic, adrenalin-fueled story about angels gone bad, and one particularly sexy fallen angel is not to be missed!

I recommend this to:
Everyoneeee!

Rating: 5 stars~ It's about evil angels! What's not to love?!

First:
 Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.
Favourite:
"You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I'll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That's what you are."
Teaser:
  "My friends call me Wrath," says Raffe, "My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What's your name, soldier boy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment