Home About Policies Reviews Features

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

|Review| My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent

Title: My Soul to Lose 
Author: Rachel Vincent 
Series: Soul Screamers #0.5 
Published: July 1st 2009 by Harlequin Teen 
Rating: ♥♥♥♥
Goodreads summary:
It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.
Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.
She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....
Racquel's thoughts:
This is the perfect prequel to a start of what seems to be a great series for me! Only 51 pages in the Soul Screamers Vol. 1 book, this is like a tease of what's to come and it definitely left me with a I WANT MORE, NEXT BOOK NOW! feeling.

It starts off right into the action and I loved that. We have Kaylee and Emma two bestfriends going on a shopping spree. Usually I don't like best friend relationships. I barely see genuine ones! The bestfriend always ends up being a bitch and back stabbing the main character, if the best friend is a guy then he will fall in love with the main character or the best friend starts 'hanging out with different' crowd, she's changing, usually becoming more 'popular' and her relationship with he main character is falling. The only bestfriend relationship I actually didn't hate was between Harper and Laney from Saving June and I think I can add Kaylee and Emma to the list!

Rachel Vincent really had me engrossed! I was going as crazy as Kaylee at the psychiatric unit and I felt like even *I* needed to escape. It was very interesting seeing how Kaylee handles being deemed as somewhat "crazy" and it broke my heart when she found out she couldn't leave right away like she thought she would. Vincent handled the issue very well, I believe and the paranormal aspect of the book was scary but intriguing.

Eve though this is only a novella (a mini, short novel basically), the characters were as developed and as great (and even better in some cases) as the would be in a full length book. Rachel Vincent definitely has talent and I know I'm going to be dreaming about this series!!

Rating: 4 hearts~ a solid novella that will make you a fan of the series!
First:
“Thanks for the ride, Traci!” 
Favorite:
If anyone could, it would be Uncle Brendon. He could sell water to a fish.
 Teaser:
My pulse swooshed in my ears, a hollow echo of real fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment