Home About Policies Reviews Features

Thursday, February 16, 2012

|Review| My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

Title: My Soul to Take
Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #1
Published: August 1st 2009 by Harlequin
Rating: ♥♥♥♥
Goodreads summary:
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.
Racquel's thoughts:
My Soul to Take is a book that falls under the category of "WHY DID I NOT READ THIS BOOK ALREADY?!" Well if you know me, you already understand that contemporary and romance are my loves while my relationship with paranormal is a mediocre one but hello Soul Screamers series, this looks to be a start to a beautiful friendship! I absolutely loved how this book wasted no time with nonsense. From the beginning we got the important details and it jumped right into action, that's how the entire book is actually, there are no fillers. Everything is important which makes it a fast paced book that you will finish quickly.

I loved Kaylee, she was relatable girl plus she was a real teen girl!! I could go to school and randomly point at some girl and there's a 50-50 chance that that girl goes through similar things as Kaylee (not the paranormal things, mind you. If somebody could relate to that then we got a problem!). Her best friend relationship with Emma wasn't an annoying one (thank god) and there was no back stabbing involved for once.

Same thing with Nash, he could be a real guy if you push the paranormal things to a side, he had his friends, his past girlfriends, his teammates and his family. I liked how he was involved with sports at school but wasn't an asshole even if there was a present stereotype in the book that the majority of the dancers and jocks are jerks. That annoyed me to no end but I guess since Nash wasn't a jerk, that somewhat made up for it.

I loved the family dynamics in this book! Family plays a big part in every persons life so to see it present here made me really happy. Really my favorite parts were with Kaylee's uncle, dad or Nash's mom. Also, being moi, I have to mention the romance which I will say was lovely! Nash and Kaylee are a perfect duo, I loved seeing them help each other but I also liked how they knew where they stood. When something was too great for them they didn't try to act as superman and fight it, they got their families to help which is a foreign thing in YA books.

The only thing that really didn't sit well with me besides the stereotypes is the reaction characters had upon learning about this whole paranormal world. I wanted more "THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" but it didn't annoy me to extremes because I could understand Kaylee's quick acceptance since she's been somewhat dealing with the screaming for a long while now. But in the end, the great characters and fantastic writing made this a super enjoyable read and I just cannot wait to start book two like NOW!

Rating: 4 hearts~ a great paranormal series that makes me hate myself for not reading it sooner!
 First:
"Come on!" Emma whispered from my right, her words floating from her mouth in a thin white cloud.
Favorite:
...he sounded eager to slay the dragon Skepticism, And I was ready to ride into battle with him...
Teaser:
"Does she come with a mute button?"
Check out the Soul Screamers challenge:

Soul Screamer Challenge
Soul Screamer Challenge 20 members If you are participating in the Soul Screamer Challenge and interested in discussing the books along...



View this group on Goodreads »

No comments:

Post a Comment