Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, March 26, 2012

[Review] Anna And The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Published: December 2nd 2010 by Dutton
Genre: YA contemporary romance.
Rating: 
Goodreads summary:

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Étienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?
Emma's thoughts:

No amount of hearts, or stars, or long words can amount to how much I simply LOVE this book. I keep saying that I fell in love, that I'm in love with Anna and the French Kiss. And it's that kind of book love where I just can't. stop. thinking about it. When my English classmates speak, I wonder if St. Clair's accent sounds the same. When my friends talk about their French exchange, I wonder if they'll explore Paris, make wishes, and climb endless stairs.


The very first time I heard of Anna and the French Kiss was over a year ago when my friend and I were extremely bored in the library, hiding from heat. Anna had just come in, sitting on the display with it's glossy cover. My friend only picked it up and started reading it as a joke, but she ended up borrowing it and devouring the story that night. Needless to say, she went on and on and on about it for days because, well, it's amazing. I was very skeptical about it all, because honestly, it just reminded me of those 100 page books of those tacky exchange romance stories. HATED them. 

But hey, a year later, St Clair's name seems to keep coming up in Twitter conversations, so I finally, finally, decided to borrow it. And I don't regret it. At. All.

Anna and St Clair! They're like this... magnetic field... It's just constantly, alive, and it's electrifying. There's this one scene, early on in the book, where they're watching a movie, and... words cannot explain how... exhilarating it was. But, the thing is, NOTHING happened. It's the way that Stephanie Perkins, wrote it, the feeling, the atmosphere, the characters, just.. oh gosh.

This deserves so much more than five stars. Everything is just so right. Anna and St Clair, their budding relationship, their friends, and PARIS. The places we're introduced to, it sounds amazing. Great way to advertise France, this book. I want to go there, find those cinemas with old movies and just watch screening after screening.

This book is realistic. Anna isn't perfect. St Clair isn't perfect. No, they is FAR from perfect, but that's what makes it so interesting. You face their problems with them and you live this year with them and by the end of it, you're just dying for more, and yet, feeling extremely satisfied and happy. 

And now, I just need to read Lola, which I'm looking forward to. There have been so many mixed reviews, I can't wait to find out where I stand. But I'm sure Stephanie Perkins won't disappoint :)

I recommend this to: EVERYONE!

Overall rating: 5 stars~ I fell in love with this book. Not just Étienne, but everyone, and Paris, and now I really wish I had continued French :'(


First:
Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amélie and Moulin Rouge.
Favourite:
"Yes. God, you're right. That was pants."(Étienne)
I sidestep another aggressive couscous vendor. "Pants?"
"Rubbish. Crap. Shite."
Pants. Oh heavens, that's cute.
I think I died reading this. I really think I did.

Teaser:
 Girl scouts didn't teach me what to do with emotionally unstable drunk boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment