Home About Policies Reviews Features

Thursday, March 1, 2012

THG Read-Along Chapter Seventeen

This is The Hunger Games read along hosted by Larissa @ Howling Turtle and Sharon @ Obsession With Books in celebration of the movie coming out March 23rd!
Chapter 17 is what really made everything so real for me. I always understood how brutal the games are but I didn't actual believe until now. It really hit me that hey, these are NOT games and people are dying.
Let the Seventy-fourth Hunger Games begin, Cato, I think. Let them begin for real.
Katniss just blew up the Careers food and it's sucks because instead of going herself to take some of that food and resources, she had to blow it up to make sure the Careers have no source of food.
I take a few steps and somehow wind up on my hands and knees. I wait a few minutes to let it pass, but it doesn't. Panic begins to set in. I can't stay here. Flight is essential.
So she made living harder for them; An act of indirect murder. You really see Katniss come in terms that she has to kill people so she can live.
If the Careers show up, this will be a fine place to shoot them from.
Also the end of this chapter is just so heartbreaking. It just shows that only ONE can get out of this, there are no happy endings. Not only that but also Katniss comes out with an injury with the explosion that blew up the food, she lost hearing in one ear and it hinders her skills through out the games.
But I can neither walk nor hear. I place a hand to my left ear, the one that was turned toward the blast, and it comes away bloody. Have I gone deaf from the explosion? The idea frightens me. I rely as much on my ears as my eyes as a hunter, maybe more at times. But I can’t let my fear show.
Chapter 17 is really the climax of the book or like the first quote said, when the games being for real. It's very important, heartbreaking and just as awesome as all the other chapters!
Dangling up in the tree, with the sun warming me, a mouthful of mint, my bow and arrows at hand? this is the most relaxed I've been since I've entered the arena. If only Rue would show up, and we could clear out.
If only.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment