Home About Policies Reviews Features

Monday, April 16, 2012

|Review| Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom

Title: Ditched: A Love Story
Author: Robin Mellom 
Published January 10th 2012 by Disney-Hyperion 
Genre: YA contemporary, humor 
Rating: ♥
Ditched: A Love Story
Goodreads summary:
High school senior Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her. Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom. And then ditched her.
Racquel's thoughts:
I was having a pretty terrible day and the only I know of how to cheer myself up is reread my favorite books (which I already reread about infinite times) or pick a new book to get lost in. I picked Ditched: A Love Story to read because it seemed like the perfect cure and pick me up, which it 100% was. From the first page to the last, give or take a few minutes, it toke me only 4 hours to finish it all and it definitely succeed in putting a smile on face every sentence or so because it was flat out funny. In short, Ditched: A Love Story, was perfect.

The story begins right away with Justina in a ditch and not remember why or how she got there. But as she gets up, see's herself in her god awful prom dress, the crazy events of the night come back to her as she walks to 7-eleven and through her telling two ladies at the 7-eleven why she's in the most hideous prom dress at 6 in the morning, we slowly and hilariously learn how exactly Justina landed in a ditch.

I think what I loved more than the fact that Ditched: A Love Story made me laugh every second, was the voices of the all the teenage characters in the books. The biggest thing that makes me dislike a book is realism and often with YA is how that the teenage character act nothing like myself or other teenagers I know but that's not the case with Ditched: A Love Story. Even though some events that happen to Justina in the book are little crazy and unbelievable, her voice, how she acts, her friends and how they talk is real. It might as well be my friends or I or a group of people I know and that made me love the book and every character in it a million times more. Robin Mellom perfected the teen voice and I applaud her that. I also got to meet her at the Teen Book Con and when I told her this and how did she achieve this her response was that she would go with her son to highschool Friday football games and eavesdrop on teens and write down what they say and such. How can you NOT love this lady? seriously!

Also, fun fact! At Teen Book Con, when a few authors were asked about their book covers, turns out Ditched: A Love Story has a great story to it! Mellom and her agent (I think, though I'm sure it was someone from Disney-Hyperion) searched for a terrible dress to match the one in the book and they bought the dress being show on the cover off of ebay. They had a photo shoot specifically for the cover Ditched: A Love Story and they stained, ribbed, dyed and put back the dress together just like the book describes it. HOW AWESOME?! If you want, check out my Teen Book Con 2012 if you want to see pictures with me and Robin Mellom & other authors!


Rating: 5 hearts~  I don't want to give anything about the book away because it's a ride you have to experience yourself, I'll say its a great book that made me laugh all the way through and that on it's own deserves 10 stars! 
 
 First:
Food, a cell phone and my dignity... all things I do not have.
Favorite:
"I need to get to my house. Quick! It's gushing!"
Teaser:
"Thanks for being Lord of My Blood Sugar." 

No comments:

Post a Comment