Home About Policies Reviews Features

Thursday, May 17, 2012

[Review] Fear by Michael Grant

**this review is only spoiler free for this book, but not for the series. so don't read this if you haven't started the series and is planning to!**
Title: Fear (Gone #5)
Author: Michael Grant
Published: April 3rd 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: YA science fiction, dystopia, fantasy, apocalyptic.
Rating: ★★★★★
Goodreads summary:
It's been one year since all the adults disappeared. Gone.

Despite the hunger and the lies, even despite the plague, the kids of Perdido Beach are determined to survive. Creeping into the tenuous new world they've built, though, is perhaps the worst incarnation yet of the enemy known as the Darkness: fear.

Within the FAYZ, life breaks down while the Darkness takes over, literally—turning the dome-world of the FAYZ entirely black. In darkness, the worst fears of all emerge, and the cruelest of intentions are carried out. But even in their darkest moments, the inhabitants of the FAYZ maintain a will to survive and a desire to take care of the others in their ravaged band that endures, no matter what the cost.

Fear, Michael Grant's fifth book in the bestselling dystopian Gone series, will thrill readers . . . even as it terrifies them.
*many thanks to my friend, Faith, for lending me her copy of this book♥*

Emma's thoughts:

I've been following this series ever since I discovered it in 2010. My review of Gone is right here. Which could actually possibly be the first ever review I've written on Goodreads!

What extremely sucked was waiting. Oh the waiting! I should've waited until the very last book came out so I could devour all six books at once, but nooooooo. I have no patience, and so, at the end of each book, I'm not sure of whether I want to hug it or throw it.

THE ANTICIPATION! It kills me, really.

I really have to start off by commending Michael Grant for his absurdly amazing writing! It's not even just the way he writes, but the precision and the planning and the amount of time that must've gone into this entire series. Everything is so neatly planned out and just clicks so perfectly together, I don't think anyone could ever find a single flaw in his work.

Fear might actually be my favourite book of all five so far (but Gone will always be an all time favourite). I think it's the fact that everything makes sense now! This entire series has been a massive roller coaster road and the whole time I'm going 'SHOCK HORROR *GASP*!' and now it's 'OH I GET IT NOW!!' Don't you just love the feeling when you finally understand something? It's like that. Three years of having no idea what the hell is going on and yet absolutely intrigued in this series, we finally get some answers!

Sam and Astrid, *sigh*. I love you guys, really I do. All the characters in FAYZ are so unique and each play such an important role. Even Caine, who used to be the evil mastermind and once upon a time was the biggest threat to the innocent children, plays a vital role to the FAYZ community.

People I don't like though? Penny, that's a given. Drake/Brittney, again, obvious. But Diana? AGGHH! I liked that she had an attitude at first... but then she lost it. And then she got obsessed with her unborn child. It's like, she hated it, what it was going to be... but then she didn't?

And then there's the gaiaphage. Whaat areee youuu? It's gruesome. I like gruesome stuff. I mean, I like there is gruesome stuff. It makes it seem more realistic, even if it's completely not. Dismembered body parts and freaky deformed children. Not usually my type of story, but I LOVE IT. So do acknowledge that it can get gross, but it's so worth it! 

What I absolutely love about Fear is that we finally get a glimpse of the outside world! Every few chapters, we get a peek into Connie Temple's life (Sam and Caine's mother). We get to see the families of the childrens stuck in FAYZ and we get to experience their despair. And anybody remember the people who blinked out? Yeah, they made it.. kind of...

I think I might have screamed when I finished the last page, turned to read the next chapter, and found out there was none! Another year guys... Another twelve months... And the last time I have to wait. I don't know if I'm excited or sad...

Overall rating: 5 stars~ Thrilling, suspenseful, and utterly captivating.
First:
 One minute Nurse Connie Temple had been updating her journal on her little laptop. And the next minute she was gone.
Favourite:
 “No, no, no, so not getting the point of fear. Because fear wasn't about what made sense. Fear was about possibilities. Not things that happened. Things that might.”
Teaser:
 "Hail the conquering hero," Caine muttered. "Mr Sunshine."
I hate to admit it but I actually kind of like Caine now.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment