Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, June 30, 2012

[Review] The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

Title: The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2)
Author: Richelle Mead
Published: June 12th 2012 by Razorbill
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance.
Rating: ★★★★★
Goodreads summary:
Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Richelle Mead's breathtaking Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive. In this second book, the drama is hotter, the romances are steamier, and the stakes are even higher.
Emma's thoughts:
*Spoilers for Bloodlines*
I am once again awed by Richelle Mead's work. After finishing Vampire Academy, I could not wait to start Bloodlines! And that, oh gosh<3 Honestly, I was wondering how The Golden Lily could be any better, but it is utterly breathtaking! I'm constantly reminded of why I love Richelle Mead's characters so much. Each one is so different and so unique in their own ways and there's never mistaking one for another.

Sydney's such a strong, determined and admirable character. Sure, I don't always agree with her Alchemist ways, but she stays true to herself always. She's so kind, and constantly thinking of others - yes it is her job, but as her history teacher says, she always go waaay beyond what's expected. Through every hardship and problem, she's always focused and ready for anything. I particularly loved it when she signed up for self-defense classes with Adrian. (EEEEEEP CUTENESS<3) I love how her situation there is similar to the one with Eddie and Jill.

But ugh, one thing I didn't really enjoy was the new characters. Angeline is necessary, yes, but I just didn't like her. I'm not sure if we're supposed to, but I don't like her and Eddie, I don't like her and Trey. I just don't. like. her. I don't like Brayden either, but that's a given. Poor Sydney can't see that Brayden could never in a million years give her what Adrian could offer.

Adrian, Adrian, Adrian... oh Adrian... Sydney how could you not see?!?! He's so head over heels in love with Sydney and really doesn't try to hide it, at all. He's constantly making up these excuses just to see her, talk to her, and just to spend time with her. And even Sydney cares a lot for him whether she realizes it or not. Even she does things for him that shocks him, that makes him surprised to think that anybody would ever bother. That's what I love about their relationship. They do things that are unexpected to each other and they make exceptions to their usual rules for each other. I mean, who drives four hours from city to city that they had no obligations and no feelings for?

But The Golden Lily isn't about the romance (though it is the best bit), Trey comes into a big part of the story - which I really enjoyed. I loved Trey as a character in Bloodlines and it was great to see him play a vital role in this book. It was nice to see a twist involving the Alchemist's history and human magic (which yes! Sydney finally gives in to!).

And of course, there's a cliffhanger - of sorts - and unffff I am DYING to for the third book! I hope Sydney puts her morals away and make another exception for us readers (:

Overall rating: 5 stars~ Richelle Mead never ever disappoints!
First:
 Most people would find being led into an underground bunker on a stormy night scary. Not me.
Favourite:
“Isn’t it obvious, Sage? No, of course it isn’t. I did it so I’d have a reason to be around you — one I knew you couldn’t refuse.”
Teaser:
“You're in an awfully good mood," he observed. "Was there a sale at Khakis-R-Us?” 
 

1 comment: