Home About Policies Reviews Features

Saturday, July 7, 2012

[Review] City Of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Published: May 8th 2012 by Walker Books Ltd
Rating: ★★★★★
Goodreads summary:
Jace is now a servant of evil, bound for all eternity to Sebastian. Only a small band of Shadowhunters believe he can be saved. To do this they must defy the Clave. And they must act without Clary. For Clary is playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul.

Clary is willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

What price is too high to pay, even for love?
Emma's thoughts:

Reading City of Lost Souls, an inexplicable feeling of longing came over me. At first, I was a bit miffed that we weren't seeing as much of Jace and Clary as in the previous books, but I ended up loving the perspectives of the other characters. I think, after reading all five books, having lived through the experiences of these characters, it feels as if some bond has formed. There's no other way I can put it, really. There's this part of me that loves the idea of Clary, Jace, Simon, Izzy, Alec, Magnus and etc... that all these characters, these people are forever linked by their stories. And that, even when their story ends after City of Heavenly Fire, they'll still bound by these memories. 

Well, at least by these novels. 

I kind of wish it would just never end, you know? We're one book away from the end, and argh. I'm happy there will be movies, but they better do the books justice. 

When I first started this series, I was doubtful and hesitant to begin due to the harsh comments about Clare's confusing metaphors and sorts of plagiarism, but five books later, IT DON'T MATTER ANYMORE. The Mortal Instruments has become it's own story. It's no longer just Cassandra Clare's. It's ours

What I love about City of Lost Souls is the deception and just wholly the idea of not knowing. Not knowing if Jace is Jace, not knowing Sebastian's intentions, Magnus's past, the truth in good and evil. Because while I don't believe myself to be a gullible person, I found myself believing in this book. I was always constantly hoping for the better, giving Sebastian the benefit of doubt, wishing that all would end well.

Jace, being intrinsically bound to Sebastian, a half to a whole, we know that he's not the Jace we first met in City of Bones. And yet, he still is physically, apparently Jace. Clary knows that, but it's hard not to love both Jace's because they both love her. Sebastian's Jace is yes, a slave to the devil, but his love for Clary is true. 

And that, that is what conflicted me the most. I honestly just wanted to stop time, while Clary and Jace were on a boat in Venice, on a date, being a real couple, and just being in love. I wanted to stop there just so they could be happy in my mind forever, regardless the rest of the world is in chaos. 

But everyone deserves a happy ending, right? Simon and Isabelle, Alec and Magnus, Maia and Jordan. Even Luke and Jocelyn. As I said before, they're bound forever in my mind. There's no escaping each other. They're all so different, unique in impeccably odd ways. Each has their flaws and perks and each has found a place in my heart.

I never want this series to end, but I've never wanted a finale more. And even when all the books have come out, all the movies have been released, I don't think I'll be forgetting The Mortal Instruments for a long time...

Overall rating: 5 stars~ Left me anticipating the end.
First:
Simon stood and stared numbly at the front door of his house. 
Favourite:
His eyes softened. "But it doesn't change what we are to each other. It's like there's always been a piece of my soul missing, and it's inside you, Clary. I know I told you once that whether God exists or not, we're on our own. But when I'm with you, I'm not.” 
Teaser:
“Missing, one stunningly attractive teenage boy. Answers to 'Jace' or 'Hot Stuff'.”

1 comment:

  1. I love that Sebastian/Jonathan twist and Magnus is a stroke of genius!

    ReplyDelete